Epidemic and pandemic-prone diseases | Outbreaks | Avian influenza | Avian influenza A(H5N1) in Egypt, 31 May 2015

Avian influenza A(H5N1) in Egypt, 31 May 2015

Print PDF

This infographic provides an overview of the H5N1 situation in Egypt as of 31 May 2015This infographic provides an overview of the H5N1 situation in Egypt as of 31 May 2015. Click here to viewA total of 342 human cases of avian influenza A(H5N1) were reported in Egypt between March 2006 to 30 April 2015. Of these cases, 115 were fatal (CFR: 33.6%). The country has experienced a surge of human cases since November 2014. A total of 163 cases including 47 deaths (CFR: 28.8%) were reported between 01 November 2014 to 30 April 2015. Cases have been reported from 21 out of 29 governorates in the country. The date of symptoms onset of last reported case of avian influenza A (H5N1) infection in the country was 6th of April 2015. After the laboratory confirmation of this last reported case on 14 April, no further case was reported in the country.

Amongst the cases reported during the recent surge (n=163), majority of cases were females (60%), compared to males who comprised of the remaining 40% cases. Comparatively a higher death rate (30%) was observed amongst the female cases compared to the males. Children in the under five years age group (29%) and those in the age group of 30 to 45 years (30%) were most at risk of acquiring the infection. However, children in the under 5 years age group had the lowest case fatality rate (6%).

There is significant variation in the death rate between those who received antiviral treatment within 48 hours of onset of symptoms compared to those who received antiviral treatment after 48 hours (11% versus 32%)

Eat healthy in Ramadan