- At the end of December 2016, a total of 1878 laboratory-confirmed cases of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), including 686 deaths (case-fatality rate: 36.5%) were reported globally; of these, Saudi Arabia reported a total of 1522 laboratory-confirmed cases, including 617 deaths (case-fatality rate: 40.5%).
- During the months of November and December, an increase in the number of primary cases was observed in Saudi Arabia compared to the previous month, as well as during the same period in 2015. In November, 2016, a total of 27 laboratory-confirmed cases, including 9 deaths (case–fatality rate: 40%) were reported, while in December a total of 21 laboratory-confirmed cases, including 6 deaths were reported from Saudi Arabia.
- No hospital outbreak was reported during the last 2 months of 2016. Despite this increase in primary cases, no significant increase in secondary cases or any difference in demographic or epidemiological characteristics of the cases were observed.
- The demographic and epidemiological characteristics of the cases reported between January and December 2016 do not show any significant difference when compared with cases reported during the same period from 2012 to 2015.
- The age group of those aged 50–59 years continues to be the group at highest risk for acquiring infection as primary cases for both males and females. However, the females in the age group of 20–29 and 30–39 are acquiring MERS infection in higher numbers when compared to males in the same age group.
- Read the latest situation update, November–December 2016
Situation report on Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus November–December 2016
Situation report, 31 November 2016
Situation report, 30 June 2016
Situation report, 31 May 2016
Situation report, 30 April 2016
Situation report, 31 March 2016
Situation report, 30 November 2015
Situation update, 31 September 2015 [pdf Mb]
Situation update, 31 August 2015 [pdf 2.17Mb]
Situation update, 31 July 2015 [pdf 258kb]
Situation update, 15 June 2015 [pdf 2Mb]