Occupied Palestinian territory


WHO Special Situation Report, Gaza, oPt, 9th - 14th April 2018 

WHO_concerned_over_increasingly_overwhelmed_health_services_in_the_Gaza_Strip_April_2018

  • Following the third mass demonstration by Palestinians on the Gaza side of the perimeter fence with Israel, which took place on the 13th April 2018, 3 Palestinians were killed and 1,201 were injured by Israeli forces, according to the Ministry of Health (MoH).
  • Out of the 1,201 injuries, 651 required immediate transfer to the MoH hospitals or to NGO hospitals (including 110 children, 43 females and 608 males).  From the injuries, 29 cases are critically life threatening, 268 moderately critical, 313 mild cases and 41 unspecified.
  • A further 550 injuries were managed by primary healthcare centres and by the trauma stabilization points by the MoH, Union Health Workers Committee (UHWC) NGO and by the Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS).
  • Since the mass demonstrations began, on the 30th March, according to the MoH, a total of 33 people have been killed and 4,279 people have been injured.  From this total, an accumulative 2,860 (67%) were admitted to hospitals including MoH hospitals and NGO hospitals (Al Awda Hospital and Al Quds Hospital). The remaining 1,419 cases (33%) were treated at the primary healthcare facilities and medical points by the MoH, UHWC and by PRCS.
  • From the total number of hospitalized cases since the 30th March, 2,361 (83%) were adults and 499 (17%) were children.

Read the full report

Press releases

WHO concerned over increasingly overwhelmed health services in the Gaza Strip

17 April 2018, Gaza – Mass demonstrations in Gaza have left at least 33 Palestinians dead and more than 4279 injured since 30 March, according to the Palestinian Ministry of...

» Read the full story

In focus

Health worker shot in the leg during Gaza demonstrations, April 2018

April 2018, Gaza –Imad is 34 and has been volunteering as a first responder with the Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS) since 2006.  On Monday 9April 2018, Imad volunteered with...

» Read the full story