The meeting of the coordination council for the implementation of the global strategy to reduce the harmful use of alcohol took place in Thailand, Bangkok, from 12 to 16 February 2012. The coordinating council reviewed and developed the draft implementation plan that had been developed in line with the four key components of the global strategy.
Key conclusions of relevance to the Region
- The overall adult (+15) per capita consumption per year of pure alcohol in countries of the Region is low (0.65 litres as compared to the global average of 6.13 litres), but a significant proportion (56.2%) of consumption is unrecorded.
- Rates of abstention (87.8% compared to the global average of 45%) are high.
- Data on the extent of alcohol use disorders and mortality and mortality attributable to alcohol are not available.
- Services for alcohol use disorders and health conditions related to alcohol use have not been developed.
- Consumption trends are stable in most countries but a few are showing increased consumption.