Situation report highlights, 5 June 2013
- WHO and health partners are expanding the existing disease early warning system inside the Syrian Arab Republic and establishing similar systems in all countries affected by the crisis in order to detect and rapidly respond to potential epidemics, especially during the coming summer months. Additional activities planned with partners include training of first-line responders, pre-positioning medicines and medical supplies, and ensuring sufficient laboratory capacity to identify infectious diseases, and implementing a summer outbreak containment plan.
- From 14 April to 18 May, Syria’s disease early warning system reported 2568 cases of acute diarrhoea.
- Courses on management of diarrhoea in complex emergencies, and the provision of supplies by WHO and partners, have resulted in a significant decrease in the number of cases of diarrhoea in Domiz camp, Iraq.
- 130 cases of diarrhoea have been confirmed in Al Zaatari camp, Jordan, from 25 May. Efforts to strengthen the Ministry of Health's active communicable disease surveillance through the early warning and outbreak response network (EWARN) are under way.
- Jordan’s Minister of Health met with donors in Geneva on 21 May 2013 to discuss the impact of Syrian refugees on Jordan's health sector and reported shortages in several areas, including vaccines and medicines stocks, medical and surgical supplies, particularly for trauma surgeries and chronic diseases such as diabetes, renal failure, hypertension, cancer and cardiovascular conditions.
Regional situation report 14, 5 June 2013 [pdf 192kb]
Regional situation report 13, 21 April 2013 [pdf 316kb]
Regional situation report 12, 15 March 2013 [pdf 840kb]
Regional situation report 11, 24 February 2013 [pdf 417.68kb]
Regional situation report 10, 10 February 2013 [pdf 321kb]
Regional situation report 9, 23 January 2013 [pdf 649kb]
Regional situation report 8, 2 January 2013 [pdf 833kb]
Regional situation report 7, 10 December 2012 [pdf 409kb]
Regional situation report 6, 18 October 2012 [pdf 761kb]
Regional situation report 5, 13 September 2012 [pdf 493kb]
Regional situation report 4, 6 September 2012 [pdf 454kb]
Regional situation report 3, 30 August 2012 [pdf 641kb]
Regional situation report 2, 16 August 2012 [pdf 491kb]
Regional situation report 1, 9 August 2012 [pdf 545kb]
Situation reports for the Syrian Arab Republic, 14 March–30 June 2012